The Great Lesbian Review of Australia

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Canberra: EPIC Markets

Hey there lesbos. This is the start of the Canberra reviews. They'll come slow and steady. We'll cover all sorts of hangouts we've found while living here as well as the predictable places, like Cube.

Today I start with EPIC markets, which are on Saturdays from 8 til 11 am at Exhibition Park - http://www.capitalregionfarmersmarket.com.au

Date reviewed: 3rd July 2010
Time reviewed: around 10am
Drunkenness: Zero, not even any residual rounds from the night before
Density: Medium
Quality: Medium
Types: It's a Saturday morning so the leso style of choice is trackies and hoodies
Engagement: Low
Food/Drink: High - look out for the free samples
Service: Varies from stall to stall considerably, but generally low
Toilet shag worthy? No toilets as far as I know
Score: 0

The downfall of attending the markets is there is a mix of people who are hanging around drinking coffee and well, probably perving, and others who go in to shop and then leave. My uber-cool and savvy gaydar sidekick, Charlie, should have had her game on this particular Saturday but I think she gets distracted by the food and losing me amongst the masses. The other big problem at the markets: couples! Hopefully, Charlie and I don't get mistaken for a couple (Dude, we totally do. I think it's the way you touch my hair ... - Charlie) . I feel I remedy this by going on little walks by myself to high in female density areas of the markets. The markets don't just attract food-searching lesbians, but also food-searching cohabiting lesbians. Groan.

There's a few types to avoid, that's for sure.


1. Trolley-wielders. They are bolshy. I have a very low tolerance for the trolley-ers.

And watch out for IBT - Injury By Trolley. There's a lot of shoving and elbows that makes me feel unstable, angry and caffeine deprived. Mornings are hard enough without the competitive behaviour that seems to go with buying a loaf of bread.







P.S. Trolley-wielders never look like this:













2. Hippy lesos. They won't let you eat steak and non-organic, even when you're poor. They're probably in a drum circle group too. And they din't always shower and wash their hair regularly. You like me heaps when I stereotype, huh? That's right, you love it.

3. And of course, the married couples.


Epic is my favourite spot for a Saturday morning. And the less hardcore shoppers who are just there to hang out appear around 9 or 10. Early is painful and boring. There definitely are regulars, which includes a healthy dose of local lesbians. You know who you are ;) Oh yeah, there's food there too.

Indie.

No comments:

Post a Comment